If you’re a reader of other works by David Willis (Roomies!, It’s Walky!, Shortpacked!), you’ll like this webcomic as well! It stars some familiar faces in new situations. If you’re not familiar with his other webcomics, that’s even better! Why? Dumbing of Age is its own separate continuity, with no story ties to any previous works. It’s basically a reboot, if reboots usually ran concurrently with the original universe. I just wanted to write all my characters in college, minus fifteen years of baggage, okay?
Dumbing of Age currently updates all seven days of the week, Monday through Sunday.
Quick FAQ for commenting and other stuff:
1) Be nice to other people. You don’t have to agree with them, but don’t call them morons. Thankfully, this happens very very rarely because this isn’t YouTube, but I think I should establish this as a ground rule, regardless. A good rule of thumb is that comments should be about the comic, not the other comment makers. This doesn’t mean at all that interacting with other folks and having fun is off-limits, but if you wanna start a dissertation about whether or not other folks are awful, stick it on Tumblr.
2) Please don’t proselytize in the comments. To this you may respond, “But you get to preach on your website!” To which I nod and say, yes, you’ve figured it out.
3) Please remember that not everybody reads my other comics. Dumbing of Age is intended to be a stand-alone work and is set in its own separate continuity, and so talking bunches about the old stuff is not only pointlessly distracting, but has been proven to be confusing to new readers. When this gets out of hand, I reserve the right to delete that stuff.
4) Please please please don’t do “test” posts or “first”s.
5) It’s pronounced “Dee-na.”
6) Dumbing of Age is not set in any particular year. I only say this because every time some pop culture reference shows up, someone is all “OH HEY HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE AREN’T WE STILL IN 2010???” No. We are not. The comic moves slow, but it operates on comic book time. This webcomic is not gradually going to become a period piece.
7) This is important: Joyce is autobiographical. Consider this information before goin’ off on me about how I don’t know anything about Christians or whatever. And like Joyce, I was raised as a nondenominational fundamentalist (nonaligned Protestant), which means she’s not Catholic. She doesn’t own a crucifix, she doesn’t believe in saints or have pictures of Jesus anywhere, and she thinks the Pope is more likely to be the Anti-Christ than someone she should listen to. I say this only because folks really like to yell at her for all sorts of Catholic stuff she wouldn’t do. Get your kinds of Christians sorted out!
7a) I’ve yet to see someone use the term “strawman” correctly. Use it stupidly, your post is gone.
8) It’s kind of offputting when a majority of posts can basically be reduced down to “woooo, take it off!!!!” If this is an actual sexy scene being responded to, that’s one thing and totally okay, but if somebody’s just bein’ that somebody in an ordinary context, that’s a whole other thing. Try to keep your objectification down to a minimum? Sex is fun, but don’t make the comments section a solid wall of lecherous leering always and forever.
9) Here is your “Walky Performs A Sex” FAQ.